Back pain is a symptom of many diseases.Why does the discomfort appear and what health problems does it indicate? Types of back pain, methods of diagnosis and treatment. Is it possible to do without surgery?
Lumbodynia, or back pain, is a symptom that worries people of all ages. Moreover, it is observed even in the younger generation, which is often associated with long-term work at a computer or gadgets in an uncomfortable position. If you have frequent or recurrent back pain, you should see a doctor for a diagnosis. Such a symptom can indicate both problems with the musculoskeletal system, and many other pathologies of internal organs.
Note! Back pain in the lumbar region can be disguised as pathology of the kidneys, genitourinary organs, which complicates the diagnosis. This is due to improper distribution of the load and compression of the nerve endings.
Lower back discomfort is a symptom of many diseases
Low back pain can be caused by many causes. In this case, the symptom can be of a different nature - pulling, aching, stabbing, shooting. All this is important to consider when making a diagnosis.
Why does the patient have lower back pain? The reasons can be hidden in pathologies affecting the spine and the musculoskeletal system as a whole, trauma, dystrophic changes. With the pathology of internal organs, the influence of unfavorable factors on the body, back may also hurt. Let's consider the most common causes of lumbodynia.
All the fault of the problems with the spine
If the patient has complaints of recurrent pain in the spine in the lumbar spine, first of all, exclude this cause. The symptom is typical for such diseases:
- curvature of the spine - complaints of persistent or recurrent pain in the spine may indicate kyphosis, scoliosis, lordosis;
- Reiter's syndrome;
- intervertebral hernia;
When the spinal cord is affected, pain in the spine also appears in the lumbar spine or other segment. They are typical for the following ailments:
- multiple sclerosis;
- violation of blood supply and innervation of the spinal cord against the background of curvature of the spine;
Also, complaints of frequent back pain may be present with a lack of B vitamins, copper, which are necessary for the full functioning of the nervous system.
Note! Lower back pain can be a secondary sign of infectious processes in the body. It is typical for syphilis, brucellosis, tuberculosis, HIV infection.
If it hurts in the lumbar region, the problem may be hidden in diseases of the muscular system:
- polymyositis (muscle inflammation);
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease;
- polymyalgia rheumatica;
- myofascial syndrome.
Diseases of the internal organs
Common causes of back pain are pathologies of internal organs. In this case, accurate diagnosis of the underlying disease and its elimination are important. This is the only way to get rid of lumbodynia.
Why does the lower back, back, spine hurt? The symptom is typical for a number of diseases of internal organs:
- the cardiovascular system (pain in the spine is characteristic of the aortic aneurysm);
- oncological diseases of different localization;
- pathology of the genitourinary organs - if there is pain in the lower back on the right or left from the back, it is worth excluding adnexitis, prostatitis, endometriosis, urolithiasis, kidney stones, pyelo- and glomerulonephritis;
- diseases of the digestive tract - pain in the spine and lower back is characteristic of peptic ulcer and cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, colitis;
- often back pain in the back appears against the background of psychological disorders (stress, depression, neurasthenia, neurosis);
- obesity - in this case, the back hurts in the lumbar region or under the shoulder blades due to excessive load on the musculoskeletal system when walking.
Back pain often develops after hypothermia. The symptom is due to a cold of the nerves.
Other causes of lumbodynia
Why does the back hurt (sometimes it gives under the shoulder blade, in the arm or leg) in people who have excluded the above pathologies? This happens as a result of exposure to adverse factors. Common causes of back pain:
- improperly selected mattress and pillow for sleeping;
- heavy physical exertion (often there are back pain after intense work);
- lack of activity, which leads to a weakening of the muscle corset;
- pregnancy (pain in the spine appears in the last months of gestation due to excessive load on it);
- trauma - back pain can be the result of a fall, bruise, or fracture.
Can the back hurt badly with cystitis? Yes, this is one of the most common symptoms of inflammation of the bladder mucosa and appears in combination with other symptoms.
If you are concerned about moderate or severe back pain, do not hesitate to see a doctor. At an early stage, pathology is easier to cure and prevent complications. The specialist will diagnose, find out why the back hurts and select the optimal treatment regimen.
Low back pain is different
Depending on why the back pain appeared, the symptom differs in nature. This is an important diagnostic criterion that helps a specialist, already at the stage of treatment, to suspect this or that pathology.
This is the kind of pain in the spine in the lumbar region:
- Lumbago (lumbago).This is a severe back pain that occurs due to an awkward movement or a sharp turn of the body, less often - against the background of complete calmness. Has a burning, cutting character, does not allow the patient to straighten, becomes stronger with the slightest movements, sneezing, coughing. It can last from a few minutes to 2-3 hours, sometimes days.
- Sciatica.Has a shooting character, spreads along the sciatic nerve (on the buttock, leg). This is a very severe back pain that makes the person unable to sit, stand, or move around.
- Gradually increasing.Typical for osteochondrosis and other degenerative disorders. When moving, sneezing, coughing, the symptom intensifies, additionally disturbed by a violation of sensitivity in the lower body (numbness, tingling sensation, crawling creeps).
- Dull, aching.In this case, the symptom may indicate diseases of the internal organs (intestines, urinary tract, genital structures). Sometimes there is severe back pain and the patient needs urgent medical attention.
- Cramping.They arise due to prolonged incorrect body position, which leads to impaired mobility of the spine.
Are there any additional symptoms?
Back pain in the lumbar region or under the shoulder blades often appears in combination with other pathological signs. Patients may be concerned about:
- visual disturbances (flies before the eyes), fainting;
- dizziness, especially with a sharp change in body position;
- general weakness, weakness, reduced energy level;
- rapid onset of fatigue;
- numbness of the tips of the fingers and toes, in the thighs, buttocks;
- back pain, as well as under the shoulder blades, behind the sternum, in the abdomen;
- violation is sensitive when emptying the intestines, bladder;
- burning sensation in the limbs;
- change in gait, impaired posture;
- feeling of stiffness, heaviness throughout the body;
- drops in blood pressure.
Moderate pain in the spine may be accompanied by periodic lumbago, due to which motor activity is impaired. If even a minimal manifestation of the listed symptoms appears, it is worth making an appointment with a neurologist. The doctor will conduct an examination and tell you how to get rid of the discomfort.
What to do with back pain?
Patients ask themselves the question: what to do if the back hurts in the lumbar region? The tactics depend on the possible origin of the symptom, its nature and severity. In any case, it is important to seek medical attention. Until the moment of examination with a specialist, you can take the following measures:
- If the pain in the spine is caused by an injury, it is better to exclude any movement before the ambulance arrives.
- In case of dislocation, bruising, fracture, stretching, it is worth applying cold to the site of injury.
- In case of back discomfort caused by heavy lifting, diseases of the musculoskeletal system, internal organs and other factors, it is worth taking a comfortable position (you can place your legs above the level of your head).
If the cause of the symptom is unknown, you should not use warming compresses, ointments, since in some pathologies they can harm. If your back hurts badly, the only thing you can do before the doctor arrives is to take an anesthetic.
How to recognize the origin of pain?
It is possible to determine exactly why the patient has back pain and to choose an effective treatment tactic only after a complete examination. Initially, the doctor collects anamnesis and complaints of the patient, examines the medical history. Additionally, the following diagnostic procedures can be prescribed:
- CT (computed tomography);
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging);
- laboratory tests;
Instrumental examinations of the kidneys, urinary and gall bladder, genitals, etc. can also be prescribed. The list of methods depends on the preliminary diagnosis and in each case is selected individually.
How to get rid of discomfort?
Lumbodynia is a symptom of multiple diseases, therefore, the treatment of back pain for each patient is different. After all, it is important not only to eliminate discomfort, but to remove the cause that provokes its appearance.
An effective treatment for back pain is possible with a properly selected treatment package. It can include different methods:
- drug therapy;
- physiotherapy procedures;
- Exercise therapy;
- surgical methods.
The combination of methods is selected for each patient individually, taking into account the diagnosis, the stage of neglect of the pathology, the presence of concomitant diseases of internal organs.
Medication for lumbodynia
To relieve discomfort of varying intensity, medications from the following pharmacological groups are used:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (remove signs of inflammation, discomfort);
- narcotic analgesics (prescribed exclusively by a specialist if the patient has unbearably severe back pain);
- muscle relaxants - relieve muscle spasm and stiffness;
- vitamins of group B (necessary for the correct functioning of the nervous system, in combination with other drugs help to get rid of pain, muscle tension, spasms).
Injections-blockade based on NSAIDs and glucocorticosteroids can also be prescribed. Such injections provide the interception of the pain impulse, which is directed from the pathological area to the brain. As a result, the patient does not experience any discomfort.
Blockades are performed at trigger points. The introduction of drugs is possible intramuscularly, intradermally or subcutaneously, intravenously. In addition to NSAIDs, anesthetic agents can be used. Only a doctor can choose a medicinal cocktail after finding out the cause of the syndrome.
Physiotherapy methods are often prescribed in combination with medication. If spinal pain is present, this approach can speed up recovery. Are used:
- Magnetotherapy.A low-frequency magnetic field allows you to remove discomfort and stiffness, stop inflammation, and improve the mobility of the vertebrae and muscles.
- CHENS.Percutaneous stimulation of sensory nerves with electrical impulses is performed.
- Laser therapy.The use of ultraviolet, infrared and red rays provides effective pain relief. It is prescribed for almost any disease.
- Electrophoresis.Implies the introduction of drugs using electrical impulses.
- Phonophoresis(administration of drugs by ultrasound).
Helps get rid of chronic pain caused by physical inactivity, prolonged use of the computer, intense physical activity. If your back hurts due to pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, exercise therapy is used as an additional method of treatment in combination with other methods.
- strengthening the muscle corset;
- increased muscle tone;
- correct distribution of the load on the spinal column;
- increased blood flow and lymph circulation;
- reducing pain, eliminating feelings of stiffness;
- increased mobility of the vertebrae.
All exercises are selected individually for patients, while it is important to strictly observe the technique of their implementation in order to achieve the desired effect.
Massage is an effective way to combat lumbodynia
The procedure has a quick effect, however, to maintain it, it is important to adjust the lifestyle. Otherwise, soon the pain will again make itself felt. Massage allows you to achieve muscle relaxation, tone up, increase blood circulation and metabolism.
Massage techniques and their intensity in each clinical case are selected individually, depending on why the pain appeared, the degree of neglect of the disease and the general health of the patient. The required number of sessions is 8-12.
Radical methods of dealing with pain are indicated for pathologies that cannot be eliminated in a conservative way. Surgical treatment is used in such cases:
- intervertebral hernia;
- compression of nerve roots, spinal cord;
- spinal injury;
- pronounced curvature of the spinal column.
Only a specialist can determine the need for an operation. After the intervention, patients are advised to wear a bandage or a special corset for early recovery and maintenance of the achieved result.
Note! If you have pain in the lower back or chest from the back, you should not self-medicate and try folk recipes on yourself. At best, this approach will not work, and at worst, it will even more harm your health.
It will take a long time to completely get rid of the discomfort and achieve recovery. Therefore, patients are often referred to specialized rehabilitation centers, resorts or sanatoriums. It is here that during treatment the emphasis is placed on physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapy procedures, massage. If necessary, medical nutrition is selected in accordance with the established diagnosis.
If you complain of lower back pain, it is best to seek qualified medical attention right away. Only a doctor can choose the right drugs and additional treatments.
Who should you contact for help?
If you have any complaints of spinal pain, seek the help of a neurologist. He will conduct a thorough examination, determine the cause of the symptom and prescribe an effective treatment for back pain.
You should not postpone seeking medical help if you have the following conditions:
- the frequent appearance of a symptom during physical exertion;
- discomfort appears periodically for unclear reasons and makes you change your lifestyle;
- the symptom persists for several days and does not disappear (or worsens);
- the pain is aching in nature and is localized constantly in one place, it occurs even at rest;
- in addition, there is lethargy, weakness in the limbs, numbness, fever, etc.
All these signs can indicate serious diseases, so it is important to consult a specialist for a thorough diagnosis and selection of treatment.
All therapeutic programs are made individually, taking into account the diagnosis, the stage of progression of the disease, the age of the patient and his general health. For treatment, he uses only methods with proven efficacy and certified drugs.
You can get the help of a neurologist at home at an affordable price at any time of the day. Tell your doctor about your problem and he will explain how to deal with your specific situation.
To avoid the appearance of lumbodynia, follow a few simple rules:
- optimal level of physical activity, refusal from intense physical activity;
- maintaining body weight within normal limits;
- watch your posture;
- timely treatment of any pathologies;
- rational nutrition, sufficient intake of vitamins and minerals;
- women should minimize the use of high-heeled shoes;
- giving up alcohol, smoking.
And most importantly, at the first painful sensations, it is worth making an appointment with a doctor.
Do not tolerate back pain, seek professional help. He will establish the cause of the discomfort and tell you how to get rid of it for a long time.