Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine are a very common disease, against which there have degenerative changes in the cartilage in the disks between vertebrae and the bone basis in them. This pathology develops in many people who have reached the age of 30. Symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are different and to diagnose the disease and to choose the right treatment is difficult.
The factors causing disease
Cervical osteochondrosis can develop under the influence of the following factors:
- excessive weight;
- sedentary work, immobility;
- moved before injury to the spinal column;
- mental disorders, nervous strain, and stress;
- poor physical training;
- curvature of the spine, scoliosis, incorrect posture;
- wrong position of the body, which has become a habit;
- tension in the neck, back in the process;
- the tendency at the genetic level;
- unusual for the body's physical stress, increased activity;
- a wrong diet.
The cervical spine is subjected to high loads, which neck muscles are trying to bring to equilibrium the impact of the above sources. This causes a muscle spasm, which is a violation of the transportation of blood throughout the body. In the end, it is noted the formation of anatomical damage.
The degree of degenerative disc disease
In the process of development of cervical degenerative disc disease is a weakening of the discs between the vertebrae, causing changes in the structure of the disks, the vertebrae, the articular tissue of the cervical region. The disease in the first degree occurs almost asymptomatic, since changes in the cartilage are just beginning. In this case the person complains of appearance:
- discomfort in the neck, arms, shoulders;
- minor restrictions in motor activities in the neck;
- short-term decline of visual function;
- reduction of sensitivity in the neck area.
The second stage is sometimes accompanied by the appearance of small vertebral hernia and a narrowing of the gaps between the vertebrae. Because of the infringement of nerve receptors there is a feeling a point of pain during the movement. On the background illness of the second degree, the patient noted the appearance of:
- pain in the neck, crunching during movement of the head;
- the loss of sensitivity of the skin in the arms and shoulders;
- the decline of visual function;
- ringing in the ears;
- numbness in the face and neck;
- weakness in the hands;
- shooting pain that radiates to the shoulder blade;
- disturbances in sleep function.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical third of the degree of curing is very difficult. At this time develops a hernia occurs, the deformation of the spine, marked changes in the position of dislocations in the elements range. This stage of the disease is accompanied by:
- a pronounced pain in the neck, the myocardium and neck area;
- the lack of sensitivity of the skin in the head, arms, and shoulders;
- paralysis of hands;
- absence of tendon reflexes;
- the formation of a hernia in the cervical vertebrae.
In the process of the fourth (final) stage, the aggravation of symptoms.
Signs of the disease in the neck is much different from the symptoms of degenerative disc disease in another area of the spine. Since the cervical vertebrae are located next the nerve roots and spinal cord zaselyalsya. This leads to the emergence of such symptoms:
- Pain syndrome localized in the neck, neck, shoulders, arms and legs. At the time of accession in the process of nerve receptors there is the appearance of discomfort in the shoulder area, neck, hands start to rebuild. Due to spasm in the cervical muscles blood circulation.
- Emerging weakness in the upper extremities associated with damage to the functionality of the roots that contribute to the inclusion of motor nerves, rebuilds the muscle tissue in the hands.
- Rebuilt upper extremity due to a decrease in sensitivity in them, violations of the roots, which are located sensitive nerve endings.
- When turning the head painful sensations appear, you can also hear the crunch. This is due to damage in the small joints of the cervical, decrease of the level of the intervertebral discs.
- The patient complains of lack of strength, the appearance of fatigue, dizziness, disorders of coordination. Because of the displacement of elements of the spine is compressed the vertebral artery. Because of this deteriorating blood circulation, which leads to a weakening of the blood supply to the occipital division of the cerebellum.
- The appearance of vision problems, loss of sensitivity in the language.
Symptomatology in cervical degenerative disc disease in women is no different from symptoms in men. Women who have reached 45 years of age and older who are diagnosed with such disease, noted numbness and tingling in the upper extremities during sleep.
What is the risk of osteochondrosis of the cervical region
The disease can cause damage to the body as a whole. In the neck are located in a significant volume of the artery, nerve receptors, blood vessels through which the power of the brain. If you have even a minor illness is their compression. This provokes the emergence of problems in the blood flow to the brain. The result is the formation of migraines, heart rhythm disorders, problems with breathing and visual function are also disturbed coordination and attention.
On the background of osteochondrosis of the neck, the formation of such diseases:
- abnormalities in the brain;
- syndrome blood vessel in the spine;
- spinal stroke.
The most severe complication is the death of the patient, which may occur when compression of the spinal canal. The symptoms and treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease due to the stage of the disease.
Therapeutic effects in cervical osteochondrosis
Therapy in osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is assigned regardless of the gender of the patient. The treatment takes place in several stages:
- The removal of morbid manifestations.
- Elimination of puffiness.
- Reduction in the rate of blood circulation.
- Fixing the muscles on the back, abs, chest.
- Improving the quality of nutrition and tissue regeneration of the spine.
If you notice even the minor signs of the disease need to consult with a specialist. This disease used a comprehensive approach requires the inspection of the surgeon, neurologist, physiotherapist, chiropractor.
For therapeutic purposes on the background of cervical degenerative disc disease using medications, physiotherapy, massage of the collar zone, physical therapy, as it is quite effective in this condition.
The detection of osteochondrosis of the neck is prescribed:
- drugs to eliminate muscle spasms;
- vitamins to improve metabolic processes in the Central nervous system;
- drugs from the group of NSAIDs to reduce pain, eliminate inflammation and swelling;
- means for joints, promotes cartilage regeneration, elimination of violations in the discs between the vertebrae.
- medications conducive to improved nutrition of the affected nervous tissue, regulation for the transportation of blood flow in the brain.
The provision of first aid in case of aggravation of cervical degenerative disc disease
Sometimes, if the pain becomes unbearable, a visit to the doctor does not work, experts recommend pain reliever. To relieve pain, you can resort to the "pepper patch", however, this remedy brings relief is only short-term. The patch will help to warm the affected area and for some time to relieve the pain. To get rid of swelling, recommended drinking herbal infusions for 3-4 days.
But it is worth considering that a cure for cervical degenerative disc disease using the such methods will not work. These techniques help to cope with the symptoms of the disease only for a short time. To assign the full therapy will have to turn to professional assistance.
In the combined treatment to improve the effect of prescribed application:
- Electrophoresis – ion penetration of pain meds on the affected area due to the influence of electric current. During the procedure, normally use Novocaine or Lidocaine.
- Laser therapy – it has anti-inflammatory effect, improves blood circulation, through the effect of light.
- Magnetic therapy helps to get rid of edema in tissues, has analgesic effect.
- Ultrasound – helps to improve metabolism, relieve, relieves inflammation in the affected area.
Also in cervical osteochondrosis to improve health will help physiotherapy. It should be noted that exercise should not be accompanied by pain or discomfort. A set of exercises:
- Lie on stomach and put her hands on the floor. The back should be smooth, and the head and the body is raised. Stay in this position for approximately 2 minutes, then return to starting position. Perform 2-3 repeat.
- Falls to the floor, lie on your back, arms stretched along the body. Turn head first to the left then to the right, trying to touch the ear sex. Do exercise 6-7 times in each direction.
- Sit on the floor. Take a breath and tilts his head forward to try to touch her chest. On the exhale, throws back her head back. The exercise should be repeated 10-15 times.
- Sit on the floor, press the palms on the forehead and at the same time place the head. The exercise should be done for about 30 seconds, repeat 2-3 times.
- Slowly, slowly rotated his head so as not to cause dizziness. In case, when I started to feel dizzy, the exercise has to stop. It is necessary to perform rotation 10 times to the left then to the right.
Treatment at home
Such therapy can only be used in the complex treatment prescribed by a doctor. At home, you can resort to folk remedies, physical therapy and massage.
At cervical osteochondrosis you can use these recipes:
- A piece of horseradish to put on the harness and fix with a bandage or tissue. Sheet need to pour hot water and then allow to cool to room temperature. Such a bandage is placed before bed and leave until morning.
- Potatoes RUB on a grater and mix with honey in equal proportions. To apply for the production of the wrap once in 7 days.
- For easing the pain will help warming up by a yellow card, the bag with sand, pepper plaster, etc.
Before application of all funds are encouraged to seek the advice of a physician.
Hold healing massages at home. To start massage to a healthy area of the body, gradually moving to the affected area. Massage complex should be selected based on individual patient characteristics, the degree of neglect of the disease. Massage should be performed to the patient, placing it horizontally on the floor. On the forehead should put his hands and chin to stick out to the side of the chest. The neck muscles should be relaxed.
The massage is performed in the following way:
- First massage the collar area strokes.
- Then move on to wringing. For this you need to put your hands on the neck and move along the spine. Also this technique can be applied when massaging towards your shoulders.
- To warm up the muscles of the neck, rubs her. This will help the body relax, improve blood circulation. It is necessary to move from the skull along the spine using a circular motion.
- The last movement is a vibration that runs through the wobbles and vibrations.
With the aim of preventing the development of cervical degenerative disc disease is recommended:
- Playing sports (perfect – use of the pool).
- To enter into the diet foods rich in calcium and magnesium.
- To stretch to several times during the day, especially when employment in sedentary work.
- In accordance with the requirements to replace the pillows (buy low) and mattress (need hard). To monitor the position of the neck in her sleep: neck must bend at least 15 degrees.
- Take a hot shower for at least 10 minutes throughout the day.
- People, does not welcome playing sports, doctors recommend periodically visit the yoga section.
- Not worth doing in the gym, as this may lead to deterioration of health.